A Hamden, Connecticut case revealed the danger over-heated cellphones can pose when left with constricted air ways. Kimberly Johnson dashed into her 15 year old son’s room after seeing flames. Half of her son’s bed was incinerated when she got there and he was lying in bed next to open flames. The fire kept spreading and fire officials had to be called to get the flames under control.
The culprit? It was a cell phone charging on the teen’s pillow that burst into a blaze after it did not receive sufficient room to cool itself.
Thankfully, locals nearby were able to air out her son’s room and put the fire out before fire fighters arrived. It is then that Fire Official David Berardesca offered his words of wisdom: “The batteries heat up, they could melt – in some cases, explode – and cause a fire.” “It is recommended that you leave these types of devices on a hard surface so the heat can dissipate.” Even cell phone chargers are not safe. Avoid the risk of fire and over-heating by pulling their plugs even when they are not in use as they still consume energy.
Ms. Johnson’s son was fortunate to have someone who noticed the fire before it ended in tragedy, but this won’t always be the deal. A fire like this one could happen to anyone. It can be something as simple as knowing that it’s best to leave electronics on a night stand while they charge to keep a raging fire from happening.
This does not only hold true for cellular phones but laptops as well. Owners of electronics are urged never to block the vents on the front and back of the devices as they are essential to keeping it’s temperature down. It is also suggested cell phone users avoid charging their phones on their pillows or any place that is not well ventilated as it may cause a fire.
More details and information can be found at the Hamden Fire Marchall’s Office number: 203-407-3182.
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/39195806@N04/5044281763″>House fire</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/”>(license)</a>